The Land of Saints
Castelnuovo Don Bosco
The village of Castelnuovo
Madonna del Castello
St. Andrea Parish
In St. Andrea parish church, Don Bosco, St. Giuseppe Cafasso and Blessed Allamano received the Baptism and the Communion. Here, at fifteen years old, Giovannino Bosco attended the school and lived at a tailor’s house where he learned how to sew and to play the organ.
It is interesting to visit the Church of Madonna del Castello, Cafasso’s House and the Home-Museum of Allamano, the founder of the Missionaries of Consolata.
District of Castelnuovo: here, at St. Pietro’s Church, Giovannino received the first Latin lessons from Father Calosso; Savio’s family stayed there for ten years.
The village of Mamma Margherita: Giovannino attended here some elementary courses.
A small museum keeps the memory of that period and of Mamma Margherita.
The town of Domenico Savio (he died here on March 9th, 1857). In his house you can find some family memories. From here, Domenico, with his father, went to meet Don Bosco: the path marked by Domenico is indicated by special signs for those who love to retrace the steps and meditate on the feelings of the Young Saint.
Here Giovanni Bosco received the confirmation and met Fr. Calosso for the ‘missions’. The Blessed Maddalena Morano moved here and joined the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians. An interesting exhibition set up in the Church of St. Michele testimonies this extraordinary woman of God, who was a holy educator.
Moncucco and Cascina Moglia
Giovanni, between the ages of 12 and 14, spent here 20 months working for the Moglia family. On Sunday at the parish church of Moncucco he helped the priest as catechist of the other boys.